Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Live Everyday Amid Purpose

Taking a great leap of faith forward
I am just pretentious enough to think people out there actually read these things and will “get” the cleverness of this title. Ha. Amuse me. Please! I am desperately attempting to find ways of balancing the constant background drone and content of the Disney Channel.  
Because of my (previous) hatred of the month I’d never given much thought to the uniqueness of Feb. 29th. It’s always been just a day I’ve lived through (well lived through every four years that is). Today, however, is different. Today I find myself pondering the significance that one day can have.
Life is changed not in years but in small increments of time. minutes- hours- days.
“You have cancer.”
“I do!”
“He’s gone…..”
“It’s a girl!!”
Sure I’d like to believe that given recent circumstances I could tell everyone that I’m going to spend the rest of my life appreciating these minutes… the small things… enjoying life… living each day to its fullest… but come on- I know myself too well. 
No doubt I go through periods of proclaiming change… but like most folks… while sincere, it’s short-lived. Cliché and tired yet still true… I rarely take time to “stop and smell the flowers.” I’m too busy… bills to pay, kids to feed, meetings to make…. I’m too busy…. We’re all too busy….. “leaping” not “living.”
This Feb 29th I challenge myself and you as well to “live” not “leap.” Live today… if only just today… doing something. fun. amazing. inspiring. Do something for someone else…. someone you love… or better yet… someone you don’t…..  Hey, this day won’t happen again for another 4 years- might as well make it count.

2 comments:

  1. Thoughtful post! Thanks for the inspiring words. hugs from da 'burgh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching HGTV last night with Sebulsky... couple bought a house in Sewickley. There was a passing moment... where we looked at each other... I know we were both thinking the same thing... "Pittsburgh one day?" haha. Miss ya.

    ReplyDelete