Sunday, February 5, 2012

Perfect Love



How fitting in the month of February to write a post on “Love.” 
February. Ugh. February. My least favorite… most detested… month of the year. When I taught Psychology to high school students I always  briefly included the topic of February in class discussion. February= Peak of seasonal depression (those of us who suffer) know all too well the battle we must fight through the looming gloomy days of this long, tiresome month.  February=The month with the most suicide rates (no coincidence - directly related to seasonal depression I’m sure).  And worse yet… February= The month which contains the day I’ve grown to hate exponentially each year. Valentines Day= Love. Gag. Ugh. Blech. Eek. Gag again.
Don’t ask me why I dislike this day so much. I think really it’s just become a “thing” with me… like I’ve said it so many times that I have to continue believing it and making a big deal about it… because if I don’t … OH NO!!! SOMETHING REALLY BAD MIGHT HAPPEN.
I got to thinking about all this yesterday when researching the significance of tulips. Wait. Pause. Let me backtrack.
Yesterday a package arrived at the door. A Pro-Flowers package. Flowers.  Hmmm…  Harriet Vanger perhaps? My curiosity was climaxing. Who? Who would send us flowers??? I quickly opened the card to find that a dear old friend from back home and “back in the day” had sent them to me. We haven’t spoken or seen each other in a good 10 years or so… maybe even longer. Yet kindness doesn’t go away with age, and her thoughtfulness is as prevalent now as it was all those years ago.
Tulips. Beautiful. Pink. Red. Variegated.  at the cusp of bloom. Tulips. The perfect flower because they signify perfect love.  The love of friendship.  The love a mother has for her son. The love of family.  Like bright pink and red beacons of hope that maybe… just maybe this February might be different for me.
I am making a public announcement today that I retract any former complaints, jokes, comments and concerns I’ve had in regards to February 14th. This year I’ve decided to turn over a new leaf.  A tulip leaf. This year I vow to celebrate love in all its forms. Because really when you strip away all the “stuff of daily life” isn’t love what it’s all about?




No comments:

Post a Comment