Thursday, February 2, 2012

Does pee taste sweet? and a ketone sounds like something I should have learned in music class.

Dr. K immediately sent us to Clark Regional for blood work. At this point it was about 6:30 at night, Saul was starving, soaked, and generally all around miserable. I called Jeff who had just gotten home from a leisurely shopping spree at Wal-Mart with EH.  I was like "umm... yeah... Dr. K is sending us to Clark Regional." Not wanting to cause any added panic to the situation I told him to discretely remove himself from the house and my mother (sorry mom). Needless to say holding down a then 15 month old starving, soaked, screaming, toddler while they attempted to take blood was an experience. Luckily Jeff didn't witness the madness.

Dr. K told us to meet him back at his office to go over results. We drove back over and waited. I know now that Dr. K already knew, I already knew. I guess going for the blood work was a formality.

We got the "official" word around 8:30-9:00. Seriously high sugar in the blood and large traces of ketones. Definitely diabetic. Within and hour he would be admitted to UK Children's hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment