Thursday, February 2, 2012

Let's start at the beginning

Jeff and I are lucky to have the absolute most wonderful, kind, caring "think pie-baking" "laundry hanging" "country living" grandma- sitter for Harper and Saul. She is one of only a few people who've watched both kids since their births. She is... older... and old school... "drinks only in the kitchen" "no toys out of the living room" routine routine routine for breakfast, "supper" naps snack and dinner.  It is because of this and her keen attention to detail and our kids care that we were able to avoid what could have possibly been the most devastating event in our lives.

Every single day last week when I would run in late and frantic to get the kids she would say the same thing... "Courtney, Saul is just not right." I blew her off... Monday... Tuesday... Wednesday... She went from saying "he's just not right" to "he's just so thirsty" "his diaper is ALWAYS full" "Courtney I hold him all day and he still cries" again... I chocked it up to "teething." Finally Thursday night (2 and a half hours after our "normal" pick up time") I agreed that "Yes... I will make a Dr. apt for him!"

When I called Dr. K Friday he said "bring him in at noon" not wanting to take a day off work... or even half a day I begged... any later apts?? He said 5:00.

I joked with Dr. K when I brought him in "go ahead and make fun of me... I already know it's teeth" "non-stop inconsolable crying.... yeah that’s his personality he's always fussy" what I can't understand is his desire to chug any liquid in sight"... and "what's up with those size 4 diapers... they should be holding all that pee." Dr. K looked and said... "yep teeth" but "let's just get a check on that urine situation."

He put a urine bag on Saul a device I'd never seen and was quite frankly amazed by... and with that Saul  started chugging the one and only beverage I had on hand and could find in the van... a Capri Sun.

Before I could see Dr. K's face I started the jokes again saying "this kid better have something serious wrong to keep us all from getting dinner on time." I will never forget the look on his face as he sat down beside me in that waiting room chair.  How he put his hand on my shoulder. I knew before he said a word... we were dealing with more than a few stubborn molars.

No comments:

Post a Comment