Sunday, August 12, 2012

Over it alls.

It's 2:23 a.m.

I am wide awake finding solace in a "newly discovered" parent of a T1 blog. The more I read the better I feel about being awake at 2:23 a.m.

We hit a rough patch a week or so ago. Saul's numbers went crazy. Loco crazy. Unexplainable crazy. 400 to 40 in 45 min crazy. By Wed of last week I was wondering if there truly was enough coffee in the world to save me.

I finally broke down and contacted UK. I knew exactly what they'd say.

1. Why aren't you doing the detailed food journal like we asked?

2. Why isn't he wearing the CGM?

*sigh*

Should I tell them the truth?

Diabetes burnout? Less than motivated at my job as fill in pancreas?

Should I get smart?

Ummm.... You hold down a screaming 22 month old and insert a darning needle 2 inches from his belly button while he appears to bleed out and yell hysterically only to have him reach down and rip it out of his stomach 15 min later and make you go through the hour + long process again.... with even more added dramatic shouting and body flapping... Oh and blood... there's always blood involved.

You attempt to prepare, weigh and carb-count every freaking edible (and non-edible... for that matter) item that enters a toddlers mouth in a 24 hour period while contemplating why one day Cheerios make him go high but the next day the don't.

*sigh*

I admitted fault. I accepted challenge. I busted out the 3 pair of overalls he owns.

I got the CGM in on Friday. It was a god-awful bloody mess. The worst to date. I also stabbed myself with the insertion needle in the process and seriously thought about calling my Dr. for pain pills. Lol. I will forever use an entire tube of lidocaine on every site change because. OH. MY. GOD. ALMIGHTY. That freaking needle really HURTS....

I taped it down with 3 pieces of tegaderm and a drape dressing (Thank You Brandon Thomas).

Of course Saul immediately tried to pull it out... and hey, I gotta say after my little run-in with that needle I don't blame him.

I got the genius idea of forced overall-wearing after contemplating my own "toddler onesie -hole for pump tubing on the side-" design. Can't you just see it now? All the diabetic toddlers could be rocking out in the new fall fashion line... Complete with snap crotch and pocket pouch for carrying skittles during those hypo episodes on the playground.... *mind devolves* *could I get rich off this?* *doubtful* go get the overalls...

He only has 3 pair... One of which is denim... He's sleeping in those now. I really put him to bed in denim short overalls. Not the most comfy nighttime pjs... but it was that - or Harpers pink overall dress tucked into sweats.

I'll chuck this up to things I never thought I'd worry about till "the big D" entered our life... the possibility of having to put him to bed in pink dresses. Lol.

Ah. I'll get overitall
He'll get overitall

Let's call it personality development... Raising a child with a great sense of humor.



1 comment:

  1. love reading these. GOD. BLESS. YOU. Praying for you and your family! You're doing a wonderful job, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete