Sunday, August 19, 2012

Just what the Dr. ordered

(Okay not really... but I'll go with it).

Actually, what the Dr. ordered was 6 new adjustments to basal & bolus rates for Saul's insulin pump therapy. So far (fingers crossed) since tweaking his insulin rates we've had more stable numbers and better moods since then.

I ordered Sebulsky to spend an entire day sans work... the 70 hour work weeks + weekend working must be supplemented with a day or two of genuine rest and escape.... so that's what we did.

Yesterday- as a whole- was exactly what our family needed... time together- out of the house- outside- having fun.

While I enjoy spending my time with the kids as a stay at home Mom - it's coming at a huge cost. Living on a one income salary for a year means Sebulsky and I are constantly making financial decisions and having to chose when to spend and what to cut. Certain things are easy to live without- but a trip to the zoo shouldn't be one of them.

I digress...

Anyway. We decided to put our zoo membership (which we purchased a year ago - lol) to good use and drive over to L'ville for the day to soak in the wonderful weekend weather. It turned out to be the best idea we've had in a while.

EH woke up at 6 am and had herself dressed by 6:15. She failed in her attempts to get us out the door by 6:30... but her excitement got us pumped up and kept us energized on the drive over.

The giraffes were a huge hit (EH is currently in a giraffe obsessed state) while Saul couldn't get enough of the elephants. It was so funny to watch him during this visit - he was so cute. He'd hop out of the stroller - look at the animal - then hop back in the stroller for the next animal adventure. It was like he had his own little system going on.

While most people go to the zoo to animal watch... my inner Sociologist always surfaces as I find the people at places like this far more interesting and entertaining. Yesterday proved to be no exception. Every fair, carnival, zoo, flea market or mall excursion I find myself observing, analyzing & formulating.... filing away qualitative data.... "You can take the girl outta Sociology- but you can't take the Sociology outta the girl." lol.

My favorite animal exhibit however, was the naked mole rat. I'm not sure how I've always missed it- but after reading Mo Willems children's book "Naked Mole Rat gets Dressed" a hundred times to primary school kids last year - and pulling up pictures and info on them from the internet- seeing the exhibit and the actual creature was the cherry on top of an awesome day. BTW- if you have small children or work with them you must get them hooked on Mo Willems... He's one of my FAVE authors... Your kids will love him... Oh and don't even get me started on the Knuffle Bunny series...

Okay so maybe I just exaggerated... because by far... the absolute BEST part of the day had to be watching Saul go through the dinosaur exhibit.

Really that was our primary focus for the trip. This was the last weekend for the special dinosaur exhibit.

Priceless. That's just about all I can say. He was in absolute heaven... I mean like his life was fully completed yesterday with this experience. I shoulda videoed- I would have videoed had I not been dealing with EH who was less than thrilled to be going through it.

Just imagine Little Buddy - biggest smile you've ever seen with his T-Rex in hand RAWWR'ing at each dinosaur display then waving to them saying bbbyyyyyeeee, blowing them kisses and shouting "more more more" oh... and yelling "ttteeeeeetttthhhh."

We debated taking him through a second time- just so we could watch him in action again.

Needless to say the day was worth every calculated penny spent... Saul had the time of his life.

I'm hoping we can squeeze in another trip before Fall gets here so the kids can hit up the Spash Park.. but knowing us it'll be another year before we make it back. Sad right? When we're oh so close.

Sebulsky was in charge of photos. Of course we've already got them on FB but you should be able to link to his Flickr as well.

www.flickr.com/photos/jefseb

Sorry using Blogger app and can't figure out how to imbed link. Argh.

No comments:

Post a Comment