Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Winning the game

It’s the small successes in life.
Next week will mark 2 months post diagnosis. In this relatively short period of time …..……
I am now capable of handling hypoglycemic episodes with ease and feel confident that if needed I could administer a dose of glucagon without having a nervous breakdown or anxiety attack… something that was not possible 2 months ago.
I am the queen of carb counting… you name a food… I’ll give you the carbs in 10 seconds flat.
I can successfully do nightly blood glucose checks with Saul still asleep.
I can successfully do ONE nightly blood glucose check with Saul still asleep.
I have mastered injecting insulin in the stomach… by myself… without the help of EH holding Saul’s hands over his head while I sit on his legs.
I impressed Medtronic sales reps and insurance handlers with the knowledge I’ve gained from 2 months of research on T1 & insulin pump therapy.
You know I used to hear stay at home Moms say things like “staying at home is the most rewarding job there is” and I would secretly chuckle and think they were missing out… now I realize they are right and I was wrong.
Playing the Game
I have been thinking about this analogy for several days and it probably deserves its own post…  but I’m gonna throw it out now just because.
I imagine myself managing Saul’s chronic illness like I’m playing a video game… granted… and Sebulsky & Jay (my brother) will tell you this… I’m a TERRIBLE video game player, quite possibly the world’s worst. HOWEVER… I seem to have some success with the diabetes analogy.
I pretend that I’m working my way through levels and in order to gain points I’ve got to always keep his blood sugar in range. Whenever he goes low or high I lose points- when he has a hypoglycemic episode I “lose” one of the extra lives I’ve built up. The key to me winning is not only carb counting but also problem solving the things I know will cause him to drop or go high… things like…. exercise, stress, fruit gummies (haha.. NO SERIOUSLY…) It’s a constant balancing act… it’s constant strategy… I guess cause I’m competitive or maybe cause I’m a weirdo thinking about it in these terms makes sense to me… God help him if I had to actually save his life by PLAYING a video game….
So that’s a quick post.
I’ll leave you with some pics. I’d write a better post but I’m too busy dressing up as a fairy princess, building train tracks, and pretending to be a giant squid.


This is sweet.
NOT a low-carb snack...btw.


This is sweeter.

Gettin some "sweets" from my sweet boy.
Pucker Up

No comments:

Post a Comment