Friday, March 23, 2012

Epiphany

Upon the arrival of yesterday’s Medtronic Christmas extravaganza I broke out with … “the times they are a changing” ….. actually, more appropriately, I “2012 Dylan” and thought to myself “the times they have a changed.”
While I sit here typing this post I am simultaneously texting both Saul’s pediatrician & our Medtronic pump trainer while checking emails from UK ped’s dept & our diabetes educator… this my friends, is medical care in the 21st century…. and quite frankly…. I love it.
It shouldn’t come as any surprise that I generally “write about” what I know about- so naturally my thought process has turned to something in which I’m very passionate.
I quickly came to the realization yesterday that
1.       Saul is very fortunate.
2.       There are a lot of folks out there that are a lot less fortunate because they lack 2 crucial resources: education & technology.
Up until this point (aside from general “tune ups”) we’ve had limited personal encounters with those in the medical profession- so I guess it’s come as a shock to actually see this “health care revolution” first hand.
I’ve thought a great deal about people diagnosed with T1 in other countries- especially children- and the unfortunate hand they’ve been dealt. This is also true of kids here in our own country- the most industrialized in the world- whether or not you’re a supporter of universal healthcare--- I dare say there is anyone out there that would argue that children should be punished for situations out of their control (say… parents income and educational level?)
The divergence into the medical profession only strengthens the belief I have in my own.  Like universal healthcare and “stem cell research” (another topic I will take on at a later time) there are endless debates in the realm of education.  Reforms, curriculum, testing… we’ve all heard the arguments (those of us in the trenches … well… we live it on a daily basis) and of course, unlike medical debates, everyone seems to “chime in” when it comes to staking their claim about “school” because everyone has “experienced” school at some point in their life (which of course gives justification for their opinion).
Educational theories may come and go in popularity as quickly as the politicians who endorse them…  and I won’t lie- I have definitely had my fair share of educational “flip-flopping” (especially once the reality of “trench life” hit and I no longer had the comfort of a college classroom) BUT… there is one philosophy I have always held on to… one idea that I know is true… one belief that keeps me in this profession when I often question “what am I doing?” and “why am I doing it?” …. and I think yesterday was the pinnacle of that realization.
It was always hard to explain to high school students exactly why education matters. Sure- I could acknowledge their examples “my parents are fine without a degree” and I could relate to their “act on impulse” attitudes because I too (though it’s getting further and further away from me) was 17 once… but, like many secondary teachers I was often disheartened by apathy and indifference.
{I just imagined myself standing in front of a 3rd period U.S. History class saying… “GUYS!!!… look… if you end up with diabetes you gotta be able to read… okay??? You gotta have serious technology skills to work your insulin pump… and glucose monitor… and track all your data using software programs…. Okay?!?! You have to be able to do basic math… if you can’t carb count… you’ll be sick all the time… Alright?!?!? So… go to the library and check out a book!!! Like RIGHT NOW… Finish writing that paper for Mr. Williams…. TONIGHT!!!!…. Stay with Mrs. Creteau afterschool today for Math tutoring… I’m SERIOUS… DO IT!!!”} 
{excuse me while I recover from my laughter}
Number 1. I will publically admit I am a product of my mother… because that was some serious channeling of Ann Grimes.
Number 2. I didn’t really talk like that… and plus I NEVER talked about my personal life because I was always too busy teaching Core Content. Ha.
Number 3. I guarantee you in 30 years EH Sebulsky will publically admit she is a product of HER mother… because seriously… did you see my FB status yesterday?
Sure. There are tons of examples of people surviving… thriving with T1 who might be uneducated, poor and lacking resources.  Please don’t think I’m making judgment calls on people lacking college degrees. I mean… a few weeks ago I was the one crying to Sebulsky that because we are poor… Saul will miss out on the latest and greatest treatments because we won’t be able to afford it...
I guess my point is… most of us take education for granted- I know I do… but at some point you may have an epiphany and realize that being able to read, write, problem solve and work technology might actually mean life or death or the lengthening thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment