Thursday, June 28, 2012

Treasures

Sure there are times throughout the day… especially when I’m outside grabbing the 3 or 4 minutes of absolute silence and peace… that I close my eyes and imagine myself sitting on the beach sipping delicious fruity concoctions… or pretend I’m strolling the streets of some un-traveled city sampling delicious pastries while enjoying lattes and cappuccinos mid-afternoon….
I’m always abruptly drawn back to reality…
Dodging the ever present line of “water gun fire,” wiping the constant drip of popsicle juice from my leg… answering “yes” to the monotonous never-ending question… “Mom will you push me in the swing.”  
To keep ourselves pre-occupied around the house (cause the beach, Disney and any real travel are mute issues) I’ve tried to make the most out of our time by doing some fun “summery things.”
Here are just a few highlights of what we’ve been doing around here.  
My Dollar Store "shopping list"
Making up games "Circle hopscotch" or "Go find this number of things"
My new all-time favorite... "Frozen treasures" Find a bunch of junk around the house... put it in an ice-cube tray and freeze it... You would think I'd given them gold.
Doing science experiments (this one entails sucking ice) lol
When else does random junk like this come in handy?
Also freezing things like flowers, acorns and corn... you know... in case you don't have junk like us... lol.
Good ole "regular hopscotch"
"Hiking" (aka. Walking the loop at Bonnie Brook) Harper collects "nature treasures"
Creating nature collages. Go pick some random crap and iron it between wax paper... lol...
Decorating our house with aforementioned "random collected crap"

Before I know it I'll get to enjoy that beach trip... maybe even get to travel again... for now... I'll just savor these moments with kids - collecting memories- discovering life's little treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment