Monday, October 22, 2012

How to survive the Zombie Apocalypse... or... everyday life.

“You realize, Courtney, Saul will never survive the Zombie Apocalypse. There’s no way we can ever keep him alive.  I think he might make it for a few days… but that would be pushing it.”

About a month or so after Saul’s diagnosis – and several weeks into blogging, I asked Sebulsky to write a “guest post.” I thought it would be clever- and funny, if he wrote about one of his obsessions, and how his carefully thought out, detail- oriented plans, would work now that our lives included a chronically ill toddler- one that is reliant upon a synthetic medication- in order to stay alive.

I remember plain as day – the two of us- sitting there across from each other in our recliners- following that Sunday episode of Walking Dead- when we both came to the realization that “hypothetically speaking…. Saul would be a goner.”

It was early into his diagnosis. We were still on insulin injections. We were averaging 15-20 BG checks a day. I was still angry. I left the conversation… and my recliner. I went to the bathroom to cry.

I cried because I wouldn’t be able to save my son from becoming a zombie.

 

 

Saul has been doing really well lately.  Sure- we’ve had a few highs and lows (a donut AND a biscuit in ONE DAY… HELLO!…. 2 hours of running outside non-stop without pump suspension or temp basal… WHATDA YA EXPECT?).

 

It’s when things are somewhat normal, when levels are good, and we’re just chugging along… smiling and happy…. That’s when I say to myself… “Yeah… but he’ll never survive the Zombie Apocalypse.”

I know. I know. It’s stupid.  

#1. While Jeff likes to talk about it… a lot…. I don’t really believe it will happen… but then again you never know.

#2. What is up with my pessimism? Why can’t I just enjoy the moment for what it is- soak in the “good times” and not anticipate the “what if’s?.”

Maybe it’s because

We live in a culture of fear… fear which we cannot escape. TV shows, movies, news… we’re surrounded by it.  We’re overwhelmed by a constant reminder that at any moment our lives could be rocked by (fill in the blank) _____________________ (a natural disaster, a terrorist attack, an apocalypse, a crashing economy, a widespread plague).

 

There is no possible way I can prepare Saul for all the future obstacles he may face in life- with or without diabetes – and believe me… I’ve thought of nearly all of them.

-          Trapped in an elevator (okay… so actually trapped anywhere… for any amount of time… without insulin or treatments for lows)

-          Driving

-          Traveling- (to remote locations…it’s sometimes like being trapped)

-          Forgetting medical supplies

-          College (any and everything related to college…. I worry about college… yep… everything about college… let’s not talk about college… he’ll have an artificial pancreas by then… right? Right.)

I could go on and on and on… stupid, ridiculous “self-created” situations and events…. “he would die on a stranded island” (but wouldn’t most of us?) “he won’t be able to live in space” (but would he want to?)

on… and… onand on….

Or, I could just stop living in fear.

I can teach him (and everyone around him) how to treat and manage his condition. I can teach him to advocate. I can teach him to problem-solve. I can teach him to prepare and plan and be responsible.

I could just stop fearing diabetes and the “what could happen” because of it.

 

It seems like the most logical action.
 
So why can’t I just do it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment