Thursday, October 11, 2012

Eulogy

We were driving behind Mom and Dad on the way to the farm. I was reading the Herald Dispatch – Jeff was behind the wheel. I saw the ad- “AKC Basset Hound puppies 8 weeks old.” I begged. I pleaded. I promised. “We’re ready for this Sebulsky- I know we are.”

Jeff and I were 2 years into our relationship. That was 11 years ago.

We turned off the Hal Greer exit. Mom and Dad kept driving.

We turned around and drove straight to see you. I had already made up my mind. We were bringing home a baby basset hound puppy.

Your Mom and Dad were there. Just as fat, smelly and loveable as you…. And all those sweet, pudgy, rollie-pollie brothers and sisters of yours. I picked you out. We couldn’t take you home right away but we did come back and get you 2 weeks later. You rode home wrapped in a towel on my lap. I kissed you a thousand times in those 20 minutes.



Mabel was put to sleep a week ago today. October 4th, 2012. She was put to sleep on the Feast of Saint Francis of Assisi. I like to think that was no coincidence.

 

Our Mabel girl – the crazy, annoying, loud, smelly dog who I thought would live forever. Mabel- the dog with 9 lives. She escaped death on so many occasions Jeff and I eventually quit keeping count. Mabel- she taught us patience. She made us laugh... and cry... and scream... and occasionally yell explisitives.

Whether you loved her or hated her (and I know some of you fall into the latter category) you can not deny that she entertained you. Our family has so many hilarious- sometimes - disturbing memories of her. Whether it was her first "real" brush with death on July 4th at 10 weeks old eating rat poison at the farm- or her last "big adventure" when she went missing for nearly 24 hours only to be discovered at 2:30 a.m. stuck in our neighbors window well (on what happened to be one of the hottest days on record for the Central KY region).

Oh resilient Mabel... how many times did she brave Boone Ave? Our fat, old, basset hound with no eyes, waddling along the road- crossing un-godly traffic to get to the High School- no doubt in search of kids and food... her two favorite things. There was the time she got her head stuck in between porch rails- the time she ate the antique glass Christmas bulbs- the time she ate all our special Christmas Day monkey bread- the time she got attacked by the Curry dogs- the time she walked up Rt.152 with a slice of Ginos pizza in her mouth- the time (this summer) my best friend Lisa and I "rescued" her from the pound... so many stories- so many memories- so much love for one, crazy, stinky, hound dog who barked incessantly and covered our lives in hair and dog drool for years.

 

Our house has been eerily quiet since her passing. Sure we have Broni and Daisy as pets and that does help ease a bit of the loss. But they too, are grieving her absence.

 
I got the call from the vet’s office yesterday… “your package is ready for pick-up.” I now have the difficult task of bringing her remains (which we had cremated) home. I’m pretty sure she’d liked to have been buried at the farm- or maybe Ritter Park- or possibly GRC (where she often frequented).

 

Pets (especially ones like Mabel) aren’t always easy. They require a lot of effort- time- patience- love.

 

I firmly believe every kid should have the opportunity to experience life with a pet and I’m thankful ours got to with Mabel. Kids learn the responsibility of caring for another living creature. They learn empathy.

 

Jeff and I haven’t really talked much about Mabel’s passing. We each are finding closure in our own way.

 

I am comforted by Harper’s simple and optimistic explanation… “God wanted her in heaven so he could give her new eyeballs… that way she’ll see me when I get there.”

 

New Years Eve 2008 Mabel partying like a rockstar

Found this gem on my brothers flickr site.... it is a rarity.

Family photo 2006 or 2007?

Mabel: aka... the devil. The halloween costume she wore for years

After her first surgery... we called her "left eye lopez"

The "younger version"

Mabel in black and white

Her favorite pastime...


RIP Mabel girl. You will not be forgotten.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment