Thursday, September 13, 2012

Well on second thought....


So I woke up this morning refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to roll. Despite the recent inconsistency in blood sugar levels, inability to make contact with UK for pump adjustments AND coming to the realization last night at 10:30 pm THAT $&$*@^& we only have 2 reservoirs left?!?... 2 left?!?...what do we do?!? what do we do?!? what do we do?!? only 2 left!?!?,................Saul slept like a champ and (according to MySentry and 3 BG checks) kept constant, stable "in-range" numbers throughout the entire night.

I celebrated the occasion with an updated FB status.

On top of successful numbers and sleep.... a frantic text to Jennifer (our wonderful-faithful Medtronic nurse) late last night was returned with the response "Fed-Ex'ing you first thing tomorrow morning." This definitely helped ease my mind and allowed me to sleep more soundly. 

I was actually thinking about buying a lottery ticket after phoning Medtronic this morning. I called in regards to Saul's delayed shipment of medical supplies.  When they told me "don't worry... we're shipping you some emergency supplies till your insurance authorizes our reques I allowed myself to let out another huge sigh of relief.

In between calls and texts Saul kept fussing and twice brought me packs of his emergency skittles. Glancing at the MySentry screen and seeing a SG reading of 141 AND being told to wait 2 hours after eating before doing a BG check- I rationalized his behavior as "sneaky" and "just wanting a little candy."

So we ran. We played. We had fun. At 10 I declared time for a morning snack. I sit down to check him and he's 36. 36!!!!! To date that’s the lowest number I've seen on a meter reading. *sigh* forget that lotto ticket. He presented no symptoms. His request for skittles had been an hour before reading. He apparently "felt" himself going low- I ignored his request the result is he plummeted.

A year from now - I pray - we never see numbers so low- because his DAD will catch them as I hadn't... and for the record his CGM was reading 115 (two arrows down) at the time of his BG check.

It's been the second time here recently I've misread his attempt to communicate with me.Last night after putting him to bed we listened to him cry for at least half an hour. His pre-bed BG check was spot on. MySentry reading 150. I peeked in once.We told ourselves he was mad because we hadn't given in to him wanting to take a drink to bed.

I finally caved. Walked in to find he had pulled out his insertion set (which had just been changed) and was bleeding... the tiny steel needle jabbing him repeatedly on his thigh. That poor boy had laid there in the dark crying the whole time. I said Saul... "why didn't you call for Mommy!" "Why didn't you yell pump!" (that’s what he usually yells when his pump falls out or he hears a CGM alert. He just kept saying "ouchie" "ouchie." It. broke. my. heart. However watching Harper jump into "I'll save you nurse status" late at night is quite amusing....anything to avoid sleep- although last night I think she really was concerned. 

We continue to battle highs and lows and attempt to curb Saul's desire to "graze" I seriously considered getting locks on our accordion folding doors yesterday to prevent him for getting into the pantry. I am trying to get to a point where there are no visible signs of food. Lord help us when he's able to actually open the fridge door.

Yesterday though sad- I had to laugh - when he came to me wanting something to eat and I said... lets go play cars...the look on his face was priceless... kinda a mix between "what the?"and "woman you gotta be kidding me.... get me a snack already."

The irony is... as I try harder and harder to cook low-carb healthy meals...I find myself desperately attempting to shove as many carbs as possible down my throat... when the kids aren't looking. I think I might have actually experienced some carb withdrawal symptoms a few days ago. Which speaking of I'm gonna go ahead and end this now so I can cram down a bag of sugar free cookies while the boys are napping.

Hey... whatever it takes to survive right?

I'll leave you with some adorable pics of the sweetest boy I know (I took these pics 5 min before his 36 BG reading) as you can see... he is not presenting hypoglycemic symptoms at the time... especially for a BG reading of 36.  This my friends is not a good sign and why I will soon be asking for your help in acquiring a DAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment