Thursday, May 17, 2012

Diabetes Sucks.

As promised… okay… well… maybe not.
Diabetes sucks.
Period.
Sure, there are a lot of things in life that suck. But right now… Diabetes is on my #1 list of ultimate things that suck.
Anyone out there tell me why… why would your blood sugar level rise into the 300s from 1:00 a.m. – 4:00 a.m.?  after insulin… even when you’ve had no food for hours… when the insertion site has been checked and changed… when there is no evidence of fever, illness, teething?.......... Why?



Why?




Because diabetes sucks.
That’s why.
Because diabetes likes to keep me up at night.
Because diabetes likes to keep me guessing.
Likes to keep me frustrated.
Likes to keep reminding me that we’re both in a constant struggle to control poor little buddy’s body.
And right now… unfortunately…. diabetes is winning.

I’m not complaining that I have to stay up at night taking care of him- I like to think of it as “late night bonding” but if it were up to me… I’d rather it be over popcorn and Pixar movies.
It’s not so say everything is bad right now. I am purposely planning out special “things” for us to do so that I remind myself- life is not just about sticking fingers, counting carbs and needle insertions. For proof- I posted some pics on Facebook yesterday.   
*Related note about the aforementioned pics* For those out there who may have diabetic toddlers, hungry dogs… or weird kids that like to eat inedible objects… try to avoid crafts that involve peanut butter, bird seed and pinecones because apparently it’s an irresistible combination.  
Recently it occurred to me (in the midst of EH assisting me with Saul) that this experience is not only forging a bond between Saul and I, but also creating a unique relationship between Harper and I and an undeniable, unexplainable connection between EH and Saul, one that can be witnessed in the wee hours of the morning as she runs through the house (on her own accord) searching for his bop-bop to pacify his incessant crying- one that is evident as she gently holds down his arms and caringly whispers to him “I’m here little buddy.. . it’s okay… just look at me… don’t watch Mommy… just look at me” as I insert yet another needle into his tiny belly.

 It’s sweet. It’s sad. It’s life as we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment