Thursday, January 24, 2013

I gotta laugh to keep from crying

I went through the Rite Aid drive through to pick up 3 RX’s for Saul - and to ask about ordering  test strips for our newly acquired meter. The girl who was checking me out was new (because I’m there every other week… I pretty much know everybody… and even if the tech’s don’t recognize me… they seem to “know Saul”).

All 4 kids were with me- and being pacified by Bubble Guppies, so I had the rare opportunity to actually “watch” everyone in the Pharmacy -scrambling to wait on folks – answering  phones and grabbing medications to hand out.  Any other day I’d be yelling at EH to put her gum back in her mouth or fumbling with buttons to turn up music for Saul… but- because I had my full attention on “people watching” I was able to witness the genuine look of sheer shock and terror as the tech rang up my bill.

Tech: “Oh. Oh. My. Um. It’s 656 dollars for your 3 scripts.”

Me: “Got it.”

Tech: “Huh? I’m so sorry.”

Me: “Oh it’s okay… I got this (hands over insurance credit-card thingy)… I’ve got insurance.”

Tech: “It’s like you didn’t even blink an eye. That really stressed me out.”

Me: “Ah… whataya gonna do? He’s gotta have insulin to live.”

She shook her head in agreement and sent the med’s my way.

I waved to a few folks who recognized me – who were working inside and mouthed “see ya in a few days!”

I chuckled as I pulled off and thought… I wish I’d gotten a picture of that ladies face to show Sebulsky.

 

 

Believe me… medical costs around here are no laughing matter. I feel like we’re up to our eyeballs in medical bills for Saul… and the funny thing is… they just keep on coming… cause we gotta keep on ordering … cause he’s gotta keep on using…  to keep on living.

No comments:

Post a Comment