Friday, April 19, 2013

Kryptonite


You were “Super Robot Guy” again this evening (you have been for days). I guess the transformation occurred while Sis and I were at Gymnastics. You’re the only Super hero I know that stops mid-mission to give kisses. 

Tonight’s been rough. I guess it started once you shed your “Super Robot Guy” attire. If I had super powers I’d protect you from what just happened. I’d fight that stupid Lex- Luther- pancreas of yours and show him whose boss. He’s done nothing but plot your demise since he quit functioning over a year ago.

Everyone is hard to love sometimes… even super heroes. I had to remind myself of this tonight when the incident occurred… that it’s not really you… you’re not really in control… it’s the diabetes… and I’m sorry I couldn’t stop it from happening. I’m sorry your bloodsugars were so high that it made you sick. I’m sorry that during hyperglycemic episodes you are altered from a strong, kind-hearted hero to an angry, wrathful fit-throwing villain.

I know you won’t remember screaming. You will forget yelling at Daddy telling him to “just leave” “just go away.” I won’t make you feel bad for hitting and swatting me… for shouting “NO MOMMY… NO TOUCH…NO TOUCH ME… NO KISS ME… NO TOUCH ME” and shattering my heart into a million pieces because other than giving you insulin it’s my only means of comforting you. “

When you wake up in a few hours- you’ll ask if you can be “Super Robot Guy” and you know of course, I’ll say yes. You’ll run around the house pretending to be “super strong” and “super tough.” We will play the game we play every single day - “Super Robot Guy” saves “Super Mommy”and when we do, I’ll try not to think about what happened… how I couldn’t save you from getting sick tonight… how I can’t always shield you from the highs and lows that seem to hit you from all angles outta nowhere and for no reason.

I’ll tie my cape a little tighter tomorrow… and maybe for a few hours I’ll pretend to fight criminals instead of diabetes. 














2 comments:

  1. Oh Courtney....I'm seriously sitting here crying right now. And I know that doesn't help you one little bit. Just know that I think you're amazing. Period. Sending wishes for a better day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Hero indeed...the last picture is very powerful.

    ReplyDelete